Welcome to the official site of the QED Metal Detector.
From this site you can:
- Read the latest news relating to the QED
- View and download the Manuals
- Find the Technical description of the QED
- View the many instructional (YouTube) Videos
- Read the history of the QED from idea to production
- Contact ‘QED Metal Detectors’ via a Contact Form
- View the list of QED Dealers and their contact details, and
- Find many important Prospecting/Fossicking License information and other important Prospecting resources by State/Territory.
QED Design Philosophy
The QED design philosophy was to “to create a performance competitive detector at a realistic price for fellow prospectors”. The result is a single channel Pulse Induction metal detector that’s very well priced in relation to its competitors and has the performance to match the current tier 1 metal detectors of all other brands; you can swing it all day without a harness and bungy and the supplied LiPo batteries last all day.
The QED PL3 (with the Aug 19 upgrade) is the latest version of the QED and is the only version being sold by the QED Dealers. The photo below shows both variants of the QED PL3:
- the “S” Bend Handle, and
- the “Tower” Handle
Figure 1 – Shows the PL1 on the left, then the PL2, then the PL3
The QED Metal Detector was first released in late 2016 on the anniversary of the 162nd Eureka Rebellion. It was known as the QED PL1 and had only three red control buttons on the forward mounted control box.
The PL2 was subsequently released, again with a forward mounted control box, but this time with four control buttons.
Mid 2018 saw the release of the current version – the QED PL3, which had some important improvements:
- The main control box was re-located to under the elbow and the Button Control Box located forward for better weight distribution and better ergonomics
- 8 Modes increased to 15 Modes to improve performance over heavily mineralised ground
- The addition of Mode 16 for beach detecting
- The addition of the Automatic Ground Balance (AGB) function via a newly introduced fourth control button
PL3 Aug 19 Upgrade
In Aug 2019, a major upgrade occurred to the PL3, whereby the following changes were incorporated:
- A significant improvement to the Ground Balance Technology, called DSM, was introduced
- A reduction to 10 Modes for general detecting in the Goldfields
- Beach Mode became Mode 11
- The capability to run DD Coils for the first time.
The major advantages of the QED are:
- It can use all of the past and present Mono and DD (round or elliptical) coils built for PI Metal Detectors from all of the major coil manufacturers. The coils can be either flat wound, bundle wound, spiral wound or conventionally wound. Obviously, this excludes coils built for the SDC2300 and the GPZ7000. Note that the new CC coils do work on the QED, but are less effective than the performance when used with the Minelab GPX series of Detectors.
- It has a 5-year Industry high retrospective Manufacturer’s warranty on the QED control box/boxes, which commences from the original purchase date and is transferable.
- All Software updates are cost-free to units within the warranty period; however, the QED Detector owner is responsible for all transport costs to and from the QED Manufacturer (INTERFACION PTY LTD).